Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Who's Online

Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 5791
  • stats Total Posts: 18678
  • stats Total Topics: 2666
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 16
  • stats Most Online: 157

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Interference Engine  (Read 9194 times)

DSMLVR

Interference Engine
« on: December 26, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »

For those needing information on if an engine is an Interference Engine - go here.

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598&go=Interference

Yes, the 3.5 and the 4.0 are interference engines.

Make sure you check off - Light Truck, SUV, minivans etc - under TYPE when looking for Pacifica parts info.

rftech01

Re: Interference Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 12:14:19 PM »

DSMLVR,

Interference engine?  Guess I haven't been paying attention.  What is it?

DSMLVR

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:07:06 PM »

That is an engine, especially with a timing belt , that will damage itself if the timing belt breaks or slips.  The valves and pistons are timed to just miss each other.  If the belt skips a tooth or breaks while running, the valves will do an expensive dance on the pistons.  It can get VERY EXPENSIVE to fix after this happens.  This entails, not only putting a new timing belt in but removing the heads and redoing the valves.   All the more reason to change timing belts when or before you are scheduled to.
The 3.5 and the 4.0 Liter engines in the Pacifica ARE interference engines.  The 3.3/3.8L engines have timing chains and they are not.
I hope this helps.

gremel

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 02:08:02 PM »

That was the first thing I recall asking the salesperson when buying my Pac. Does it have a timing chain or a timing belt?  I still can't believe that D-C put a belt on the 3.5L engine. I'm a little ticked that they did, but the car was too nice to pass up.

By the way, What is the recommended interval between belt changes on the 3.5L?

Regards,
jack

DSMLVR

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 06:51:34 AM »

The 3.5L engine is a good engine and had been out a few years before the Pacifica came out.  Performance wise, I think it was a good choice for the Pac.
I would ALWAYS prefer a timing CHAIN but, that is not what our engine has.

The Maintenance Schedules ( A &  B ) do not list any specific intervals for inspection and/or replacement in the 2004 Pacifica Owner's Manual and/or Maintenance Log Book.

Gates manual shows no recommendation mileage/time for replacment.
Go here and Check under Chrysler and then Pacifica:

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=428-1466_web.pdf&folder=brochure

Dave49

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »

When you have an engine with a timing device which could break, why on earth would an engineer design an interference engine in which to put it? Especially when the warranty will most likely be expired before this is likely to happen? .....Or maybe THAT'S why...

~Dave

gremel

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 11:37:09 AM »

Not only design it that way, but give NO information as to when to change the belt is a 'kick-in-the-face' to the unknowing consumer.

Does anybody know what the interval on a 3.5L 24 valve engine would be?

I'm guessing not to exceed 100M miles....unless you really have a heavy foot and that could reduce the mileage interval substantially.

Regards,
jack >:(

airscapes

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 11:58:19 AM »

If you look over this document you will see most cars with V6 engines newer than 2000 have an interval around 100,000 miles.. if it hasn't broken by then, It would probably be a good investment as preventive maintenance.
http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/Images/GatesTBR.pdf
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:58:45 AM by airscapes »

gremel

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 01:26:39 PM »

The Gates article states the following which in itself is a little scary:

"When the automaker doesn

rftech01

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 10:17:37 PM »

I never heard of an interference engine however, I am very familiar with what happens when the timing goes away.  My guestimated 600 plus horsepower Chevy snapped a belt when I missed a shift.  I lost valves and pushrods but some miracle saved me from pistons.

It was not a pretty sight.

AND, in response to Dave49, the tighter you can hold the tolerances, the more HP/Performance/mileage, versus size and weight is the answer.

DSMLVR

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 06:12:38 AM »

Dave 49 Posted:
When you have an engine with a timing device which could break, why on earth would an engineer design an interference engine in which to put it? Especially when the warranty will most likely be expired before this is likely to happen? .....Or maybe THAT'S why...

~Dave

Interference engines have been around for YEARS.  
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1234675

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl730h.htm

I would also recommend a timing belt change at 100,000 miles. IF YOUR ENGINE is a leaker and has alot of oil on the timing belt side of the engine ( where the alternator/power steering is), I would have the timing belt checked more often.  I would also have the leak FIXED.
The new timing belts are so much better then the older ones, and more complex to get to.  The new belts are stronger and not as affected by oils and chemicals.  
You could drive the 2.2/2.5L engine until the belt broke and change it on the side of the road if you had to.  I know, I have changed hundreds of them - and a few (not mine as I would change by mileage intervals) by the side of the road.  :-/    These were non-interference engines and if/when the belt broke, the engine just stopped with no other damage ( except maybe getting run into in the rear or the side when trying to goose it across the crowed intersection and the engine stops right when you REALLY NEED IT.  :D

I have since found that they list changing the 3.5L Timing belt on the 2005/2006/2007 Pacifica at 105,000 for both Schedule A & B.  I guess it is possible that the owner's manual in my Pacifica is misprinted or not an updated one.  (Giving Chrysler the benefit of a doubt).

I see that in the 2008 book, they list the 4.0L belt, however they do not list the 3.5L belt:

Replace the timing belt on 4.0L engine. 102,000miles 170 000 k  or 102 months.

So, apparantly they do list changing the belt.  Just not in my 2004 Owner's Manual.

Check your manual to see if it is listed in yours.

Dave49

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »

Will this be covered forever, under the new "lifetime" warranty?

~Dave

indept

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 01:01:06 PM »

The lifetime warranty probably has the same stipulation as the 3/36 in which it's up to the owner to perform scheduled maintenance & if not, the warranty is void. It can't hurt to ask though...

indept

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 01:18:08 PM »

I have since found that they list changing the 3.5L Timing belt on the 2005/2006/2007 Pacifica at 105,000 for both Schedule A & B.  I guess it is possible that the owner's manual in my Pacifica is misprinted or not an updated one.  (Giving Chrysler the benefit of a doubt).

I see that in the 2008 book, they list the 4.0L belt, however they do not list the 3.5L belt:

Replace the timing belt on 4.0L engine. 102,000miles 170 000 k  or 102 months.

So, apparantly they do list changing the belt.  Just not in my 2004 Owner's Manual.

Check your manual to see if it is listed in yours.

Your owners manual is available free online @
http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html.
They don't list the timing belt there either???
I wonder if you could get a free engine when yours fails since they failed to require that as schedued maintenance?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 01:32:59 PM by indept »

Dave49

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »

My point is that this is a drive belt. No drive belts are normally covered by warranty. Would this drive belt be covered the same as if it were a chain?

~Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Google Ads

Quarter
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal