Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 9
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 5807
  • stats Total Posts: 18755
  • stats Total Topics: 2676
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 16
  • stats Most Online: 157

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing the engine mounts.  (Read 18115 times)

NickClew

• Daily Commuter
Replacing the engine mounts.
« on: September 12, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »

Finally got around to replacing the front (or left side as Chrysler calls it) engine mount. Step by step of how its done follows.

First off I got the car up on ramps to make lots of room underneath. Then took the nuts off both front and back mounts.

Next take the bolt out of the engine stabiliser link on the left side of the engine, you can see it through the wheel arch.

Take off the plastic facia that goes over the top of the radiator. Get the two bolts that hold the fan assy to the rad, unplug the fans and unclip the wire harness then wriggle the fan assy out.

You need to pull off the top radiator hose and shove it out the way and also unbolt and move the cruise actuator to make enough room to get the fans assy out.

Now strip out the air filter box assy and remove the two bolts that hold the right side (front) engine mount down.

Next loosten the 3 bolts that secure the engine mount bracket to engine. They are a bit hard to get at but not impossible.

Use an engine hoist to lift up the engine. I wrapped the straps under the right side mount and down under the transmission. Used a lump of wood the keep the spacing.

With the engine lifted 3 or 4 inches fully undo the three bolts that hold the mounting bracket to the motor and then wriggle the mount assy up and out. Its a bit of fiddle but it will fit, mind you don't ding the radiator.

All the oil is what came out of the mount when I tipped it on its side.

As you can see the old mount is torn around 90% of its diameter.

Unbolt old mount from bracket and bolt on new one. Wriggle it back into place, bolt it back to engine, lower engine back down and put it all back together again.

If you are doing just the rear (right side) mount you don't need to take off the fans. My rear mount was OK so I left it alone, otherwise again its an unbolt the bracket and wriggle it out job. The bolts that stick off the bottom of the mounts are awful long and I see no reason for this, might be worth cutting off the excess to make wriggling the old one out simpler as well as the new one in.

scottydl

• Global Moderator
  • Daily Commuter
Re: Replacing the engine mounts.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 06:48:52 PM »

Another GREAT write-up Nick, and stickied for easy reference!  I'll be checking this out in more detail later on, as I plan to give it a shot myself.

scottydl

• Global Moderator
  • Daily Commuter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »

Alrighty, I just read your write-up in detail... and for me, I'm afraid to say that anything requiring an engine hoist is well beyond my capability.   :-\  Can either of them be changed without such major hardware?  I had been thinking of trying one of them myself, and taking it to the shop for the other one.. but that might not make any sense.  When I had the mounts changed 6-8 months ago, the shop only charged me 2.5 hours of labor (for both) so I didn't think it would be too difficult.

NickClew

• Daily Commuter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »

Well the motor sits on what Chrysler calls the left and right mounts so you have to lift it off them in order to replace. Now the front mount is under the airbox and that is pretty simple to do yourself.

2.5 hours is pretty fair to change the mounts although it would seem they did not last you very long. Perhaps they would do it again under warentee.

scottydl

• Global Moderator
  • Daily Commuter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »

2.5 hours is pretty fair to change the mounts although it would seem they did not last you very long. Perhaps they would do it again under warentee.

They didn't last long at all, in fact I think they were probably defective from the source (Rock Auto).  They replaced the mounts under warranty, but since I didn't buy parts through the shop it appears they want to charge me labor again to swap in the new ones.  I am finding a cheaper shop this time, the time (2.5 hours) wasn't bad but their hourly rate is on the high end.  I'd rather pay one of you guys to do it!!

NickClew

• Daily Commuter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »

You anywhere near SE Michigan?

Dinkirk

• Sunday Driver
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »

scottydl - I am going to be doing the same work over the next day or so.  I am in St. Louis, are you anywhere close?  Maybe we can gang-up on them over the weekend to knock them out quicker.

scottydl

• Global Moderator
  • Daily Commuter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »

Wow we're only 2 hours apart!  ;)  I'm in central IL.  We do make it down that way (mostly the metro east Illinois side of the river) for family visits every so often, maybe we can work something out sometime.

Dinkirk

• Sunday Driver
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »

OK - I did this same front engine mount last spring, and did not have any significant problem getting the new one in.  Now, I have the old one out, but cannot for the life of me figure out how I got the new one in.  Do you attach the mount to the bracket and snake it in that way? Do you mount the bracket on the engine then slide in the mount, or do you attach the mount then slide in the bracket?  I have taken off the front facia and have moved aside the radiator and AC exch, so I have full access to the entire front of the car, but cannot remember how to get the new one in.  Any suggestions out there?

NickClew

• Daily Commuter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »

I assembled the new mount to the bracket and then slid this down into place between the rad and the engine. Its a bit of a fiddle and getting the lower bolt into the subframe hole first is the key thing to be aiming for. Hence my suggestion to cut off the excess bolt length as it serves no useful purpose and just gets in the way. Have you lifted the engine up on a jack or a hoist? The hoist I used may have allowed me to rock the engine around a little to help things along.

CRC1970

• Sunday Driver
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »

Does anyone know a failsafe way to tell if you have a bad engine mount that doesn't require any lifting of the Pacifica or extensive automotive experience?

With the advent of new cars (and the fact that I'm no spring chicken) I've given up doing my own maintenance that requires more than a screwdriver and socket wrench.

I was a big grease monkey at one time... I even swapped a Chevy 305 for a 350 in my 1970 Monte Carlo way back in '88.

I remember one of the things I replaced during that engine swap was indeed the motor mounts. I know one of them had failed before the swap... With the hood up on the car, if I hit the gas the engine would quite visibly raise up on the side of the bad mount. Of course, it helps that the mount that had failed was on the counter-revolution side of the crankshaft... Making all that torque from the engine lift itself up.

With the transverse engine layout on the Pac would work or be advised? Even then, if the motor mount on the rotation side was bad, any movement may be hard to see.

Anyway, any insight would be great... :)
2005 Pacifica Touring AWD

Dinkirk

• Sunday Driver
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 04:50:11 AM »

Here are the symptoms of a broken motor mount that I have seen.
1 - Grinding/groaning during hard accel.  like the sound of a semi downshifting, or if you have a bad muffler. 
2 - A wobbly engine - have someone rev up the engine (in park obviously) while you watch from the front.
3 - The best symptom is the feel you get when hitting the gas.  When you do that with a broken front motor mount, it will feel like the engine revs up for a fraction of a second before catching

For me, it has always been the front mount (Chrysler calls it the side mount due to the transverse engine), and that one is not all that bad to check with a floor jack. Position the jack under the engine (somewhere that can take the load), and have someone lightly jack the engine up while you look at the mount with a flashlight.  You could even put a neighbor under the car while you jack it up.  If you do this, the bad motor mount will show itself very easily, despite the fact that it looks OK without the jacking. 

PJ Higgins

• SMF Administrator
  • Daily Commuter
  • 2005 Limited AWD <> Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
    • Pacifica World
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »

I was a big grease monkey at one time... I even swapped a Chevy 305 for a 350 in my 1970 Monte Carlo way back in '88.

I swapped a 454 into my '70 Monte Carlo right around the same time period.  That was the apex of my grease monkey adventures.  Rebuilt the 454 myself from the ground up.  At the time I was managing an auto parts store so I was able to buy the engine components at store cost, which is what made the project possible in the 1st place.  I never did get to the track to get an ET on it but I did have a game I'd play with my friends... I'd put a dollar on the dash in front of them and if they could reach it while I was accelerating from a dead stop, they could keep it.  Never lost any money on that one.   8)
Motor on...

NickClew

• Daily Commuter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »

Does anyone know a failsafe way to tell if you have a bad engine mount that doesn't require any lifting of the Pacifica or extensive automotive experience?

Oh its really simple. Open the hood, get a friend to sit in the drivers seat and start the engine. Then with the left foot apply very firm pressure on the brake (DSMLVR is going to love that), put it in D and give it some gas with the right foot (this is called brake torque). You just look at engine while standing to one side of the car. If the front mount has failed the motor will rock way back when the gas is applied then forward again when its removed. Then have assistant do the same but with it in reverse and see if it goes forward when brake torqued. That's the rear mount if it does. If both mounts are gone the engine will look like it is trying to climb out of the car.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:26:11 PM by NickClew »

CRC1970

• Sunday Driver
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »

I swapped a 454 into my '70 Monte Carlo right around the same time period.

You have *no* idea how badly I wanted to cram a 454 in there... However as I was 18 years old and delivered pizza for a living in the same vehicle...

Yeah, I'd have been deciding whether to buy gas for my car or food for my table... Even at late '80s prices... :)
2005 Pacifica Touring AWD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Google Ads

Quarter
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal